Monday, April 27, 2009

Who's Got Next?

Shouts to all the DJs out there getting money! Boston we've got to start making it happen like ATL, Houston, NO, Miami, Chicago and the like... we've got to stand behind one or two artists with a real chance to blow up nationwide and make them a priority at EVERY club, on every mixtape and on every mixshow... R&B, Reggae or Hip-Hop, it doesn't matter, what matters is until one breaks through, nobody breaks through...

One thing I did like about Dayton is they banded together and played their local artists and made them local celebrities. They made me play their stuff on the radio because they were so hot in the clubs and mixtapes. Yes there are challenges, but when I see a little town like Dayton making noise, there is no reason why Boston can't shake things up... Read More. Oh, and I don't want to see Boston artists having to go to New York to get shine. Omega Red, Terminology, Clinton Sparks and Statik Selecta shouldn't have had to go to NYC to blow up, but that proves the talent in Boston that we can go to New York and take over!

Smoke is one of those cats that got put on without much help from the Boston machine. But since we didn't stand behind him (other than Hot 97.7 mixshows) he got lost in the shuffle. Dre Robinson had that song Get Right with Mobb Deep that was soooo hot, but the momentum got stunted. I don't know if Debreca was from here, but Gee-Spin was helping ... Read Morepromote her and she had a whole album of heat. We may not have showcases that people can consistently perform at, we may not have local radio to get airplay, but us as DJs are working at a lot of clubs and do a lot of mixtapes (and me with my podcasts).

Somehow we have to identify who's next and get behind them full force. Oh, and NO HATE! If someone has a show, go show support as a fellow artist. In Dayton, L-Marr The Great came to Shellshock's events, who came to Esquire's events, who came to GTC's events, and so on. They may not have broken out of the Dayton-Cincinnati area yet, but they at least have their own area on lock!

Now I'm not saying that I'm the best person to find those songs and those artists that we need to uplift. I've only been back 5 months and I'm completely out of the loop on who is hot and who is new. But if I find something I like, I'll let everyone know. And DJs, if you let me know through comments if you are playing a certain song, that gives all of us added strength in playing newer local music.

When I look at places like Baton Rouge (Hurricane Chris, Webbie, Lil Boosie), Batesville, MS (Soulja Boy), Jackson, MS (David Banner), Lafayette, LA (Cupid), Greenville, NC (Petey Pablo), there is no reason why Boston, with a population bigger than all those places COMBINED, can't make headway in the record industry.

And it's not like we don't have history, but we are out here like the Celtics were… 21 years without a championship. Who has been seriously put on since Gang Starr, Ed O.G. and Benzino? Well, let's mimic what the 2008 World Champion Celtics did… let's break the drought!

No comments: