Thursday, September 29, 2011

My Favorite Blogs or Procrastination At Its Finest

One of the best and worst things about the Internet is that everyone is at your fingertips. I have signed up for so many self-help, informational, "be a better man" sites, that my email is completely clogged up… and I end up only reading a select few. Google Reader is even worse, because I get full news stories every minute of every day. I'm so backed up that I just found out that Kim Kardashian just got engaged! I'm just playing, but only slightly.

But here are 3 blogs/sites that I read religiously and am excited about. Some are about the life I want to live and some are just escapism. But all are cool enough for me to clue you in about.

Black 'n Bougie

294631_10150313432954685_113858834684_8229226_174867323_n

I absolutely love this blog. I understand that in the Blackiverse "bougie" has a terribly negative connotation, but Michele Grant @onechele celebrates bougie as upscale, upwardly-mobile, socially-savvy Black folks. I'm with it.

Grantland

Worst-welcome-to-grantland-by-bill-simmons

Bill Simmons @sportsguy33 (pictured) is my favorite writer on ESPN (aside from Jemele Hill, who gets my vote for more than just writing ;-)). He became so successful that when the idea for Grantland came up, ESPN let him run with it. I must admit, the website design overwhelms me most of the time (it's not very easy to figure out what stories I missed). But every time I'm there, one of his many world-class writers is shedding light on a topic, whether related to sports or not, in a way that is enlightening.

I Will Teach You To Be Rich

Maybach-2

Crazy title, right? Let's be real, if it was easy to be rich, we'd all be driving around in Maybachs. But Ramit Sethi @ramit is not handing you a magic elixir to drink, asking you to swallow blue and red pills or passing you the combination to the secret lair of the Illuminati. He is giving you systems, scripts, and new ways of thinking about how to find and get your dream job and how to maximize the money made from that job. He gets you to answer hard questions about exactly what you want to do, and gives you proven ways to attain it. But he makes no bones about it… it is hard work. His theme for 2011 was "hustling"… that doesn't sound like he's opening up the back door to the bank, does he? But that's why I'm in it 99%, and seeing if that extra 1% is worth it (you'll understand when you go to the site).

Posted via email from nineteen degrees

No comments: